Saturday, April 30, 2016

Book you'd love to read again right away

A week ago I posed a question on this blog—which is the one book that you’d love to read again this minute—and why?
 

Just one book sitting in your memory and standing on your bookshelf.

I am not surprised at the terrific choices everyone made. The books cover different genres, which says a lot about the kind of books people like to read—and reread. Of course, all this is subjective as I, myself, read in nearly every genre. History today, mystery tomorrow.

Some of these books have been reviewed by those who selected them and wherever possible I have given the links to the reviews. In case I have missed yours then please let me know in comments. I will be adding more choices as they come. After all, books are timeless.

Without any more fuss I hand over this space to my friends, fellow-bloggers, and book lovers  many of whose recommendations have made it to my TBR list.


Moira Redmond at Clothes in Books

I’m not going to agonize over this. I’ll make a quick decision, even if I might choose a different one if you asked me tomorrow.

Agatha Christie has given me such an enormous amount of pleasure over the years, that I am going to pick one that I first read when I was about 12, and have read several times since, always with great enjoyment—The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie. On my blog here.

My chosen book is a very good story, an excellent mystery, and very entertaining and funny. It has a twist at the end which foreshadowed a more famous book. I loved the adventurous character of Anne Bedingfield—she was a great heroine, and Sir Eustace Pedler is hilarious.

I think if I was having a hard time I would be able to ease into this book and it would take my mind off any difficulties.


Charles Gramlich at Razored Zen

One book that I reach for every couple of years is To Tame a Land by Louis L'Amour. It's the story of Ryan Tyler, who begins as a young boy with his father. They are in a wagon train through Indian country when their wagon breaks down and the train rolls on. Tyler goes through many adventures as he grows up to become a gunfighter. It just resonates with me. Adventure, family, pathos, action. All here.
John Norris at Pretty Sinister Books

I doubt you will read this, but I'd read it cover to cover without a break if I had the luxury and "had to" do so. It's not a mystery novel, BTW. The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon by Tom Spanbauer. I have a blog post about it though it just barely fits into my category of crime, adventure and supernatural fiction. It's a western and a borderline adventure novel. Not at all the kind of western most readers of that fiction would choose.


Oscar Case at Bloggingcurly

I would choose O. Henry Short Stories to renew my acquaintance with him.







Yvette Banek at in so many words...

 I’ve been rereading a few books from my own library lately, but I gather you mean what ‘special’ book I’d reread at the drop of a hat?

Huntingtower by John Buchan springs to mind. Full of adventure and derring-do, I LOVE the ‘feel’ of this book. It is the perfect read far as I’m concerned.




Nan at Letters from a Hill Farm

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. If pressed I would say this is my favorite PGW. It’s the cow creamer story.






David Cranmer at The Education of a Pulp Writer

The Stranger by Albert Camus







Sergio Angelini at Tipping My Fedora

I would pick The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald because it is a beautifully composed short novel that I read when I was a pre-teen and it has haunted me ever sense for its sense of longing and loss, about how the past can so condition a person for the rest of their lives and for the desperate things people can do just to ‘fit in’.

Tracy Kaltenbrun at Bitter Tea and Mystery

My choice for the book I’d love to read again is Some Buried Caesar by Rex Stout, the 6th book in the Nero Wolfe series.






Keishon Tutt at Yet Another Crime Fiction Blog

The one book I would reread again right this minute isn’t even a mystery novel, it’s a sweeping historical fiction/romance novel set during WW2 and 912 pages long. What’s really great about it is how immersed you are as a reader in the lives of the characters and the events that shape their lives. It’s at turns suspenseful and enlightening. Highly recommend Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. 

Richard Robinson at Tip the Wink

I think The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler is the best of (his) novels and should be considered essential reading for any mystery fan.






 
Sharad Bailur

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell








Snigdha Nair

The book I would love to (re)read is The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss. A shipwrecked family with four boys who learn how to survive through ingenuity and the wide array of birds and animals they come across makes this a very interesting read.




Elgin Bleecker at The Dark Time

I know how this will sound, but the book I would read again, right now, if I had the time and did not have such a daunting TBR pile, would be Tolstoy’s War and Peace. It is beautifully written, with great observations and understanding of all the characters.

And, if I may add to my suggestion, I would also reread the short stories of W. Somerset Maugham (which I do from time to time, but not as often as I would like). His storytelling and writing style remind me of what it is all about.

 

Here I will really press my luck and also add a little known book that I found just great: Guard of Honor, a 1948 novel by James Gould Cozzens. It is the story of a racial incident between white pilots and segregated black pilots at a Florida military base during WW2. It is a long, involved story with many, many characters, all of whom seem absolutely real.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, these are some excellent choices, Prashant! And what a terrific idea for a 'thought question,' too! In the end, I found it too difficult to settle on just one, myself, so I truly respect those who could. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margot. Glad you liked the idea. "Thought question" is a nice way of putting it. I, too, couldn't decide which book I'd love to reread, especially since I haven't read a lot of good books from the last century and even earlier. I agree, our friends have mentioned some great books.

      Delete
  2. This is cool, a number of new books for my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your contribution, Charles. I haven't read TO TAME A LAND yet and I'm hoping to read it this year.

      Delete
  3. What a great and varied selection - thanks Prashant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Sergio. Many thanks for contributing. I was wondering if you'd reviewed THE GREAT GATSBY but I didn't find one on your blog. In case you did in the past, do let me know and I'll link it up in your piece.

      Delete
  4. I am intrigued by these choices, Prashant. I'm making note to read a couple of them (for the first time). Terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvette. I have made a mental note of several titles I have not read and that includes HUNTINGTOWER.

      Delete
  5. Inhaling the Mahatma was a book that stuck in my head for years. I'd love to read it again. The classics and Agatha Christie are perennial favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, I had no knowledge about this book, and to think it was published in 2006. I'm glad you mentioned it. It certainly sounds intriguing.

      Delete
  6. That is a very interesting and varied list, Prashant. Several books there that I will look into reading. It is also interesting how some respondents adding explanations and others just listed the book. Rex Stout is the only author whose books I read over and over, but there are lots of books by other authors that I would like to read again when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, your own contribution added to the variety of books worthy of a reread — thank you. I hope to add more selections in coming days. I will definitely be reading Rex Stout this year. I rarely reread a book, though.

      Delete
  7. I didn't add any comments or description, as I thought I was just answering the question. I would add that I think THE BIG SLEEP is the best of Chandler's novels and should be considered essential reading for any mystery fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, if you don't mind I'm adding your insight on the book to your answer above. Thanks for writing back.

      Delete
  8. I love the fact that these books are so varied - but put together they would make a great reading list, or a perfect library to take away for a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, I couldn't agree more. I haven't read any of these books. Tomorrow's list would be equally "varied." While we read differently, we generally concur on books, even those we haven't read.

      Delete
  9. What a superb posting! I really enjoy browsing through all the contributors' comments. And my "must read" list has gotten much longer! Thanks!
    All the best from the new crime fiction blogger without any postings, David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic question- my answer would be Asta's Book by Barbara Vine

    ReplyDelete