Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Concrete Angel by Patricia Abbott

© www.polisbooks.com
Anton Chekhov is believed to have written 201 short stories and one novel, The Shooting Party, in 1884. In our time award-winning writer, reviewer, and blogger Patricia Abbott has authored more than 100 short stories in print, online, and in various anthologies, and is a few months away from releasing her debut novel Concrete Angel. I'm sure there’ll be others.

Independent book publisher Polis Books describes Concrete Angel thus:

An atmospheric and eagerly-awaited debut novel from acclaimed crime writer Patricia Abbott, set in Philadelphia in the 1970's about a family torn apart by a mother straight out of ‘Mommy Dearest’, and her children who are at first victims but soon learn they must fight back to survive.

“Eve Moran has always wanted ‘things’ and has proven both inventive and tenacious in getting and keeping them. Eve lies, steals, cheats, swindles, and finally commits murder, paying little heed to the cost of her actions on those who love her. Her daughter, Christine, compelled by love, dependency, and circumstance, is caught up in her mother’s deceptions, unwilling to accept the viciousness that runs in her mother's blood. Eve’s powers of seduction are hard to resist for those who come in contact with her toxic allure. It’s only when Christine’s three-year old brother, Ryan begins to prove useful to her mother, and she sees a pattern repeating itself, that Christine finds the courage and means to bring an end to Eve’s tyranny.

“An unflinching novel about love, lust and greed that runs deep within our bones, Patricia Abbott cements herself as one of our very best writers of domestic suspense.


The 320-page novel will be published in June 2015.

You can read more about Patti and her book at Polis Books and pre-order a copy at Amazon. You can also read Patti’s short stories on her blog Pattinase.

16 comments:

  1. 1 to keep an eye out for. I have Home Invasion on my kindle already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col, I haven't read HOME INVASION which is described as a "novel in stories." Thanks for mentioning it.

      Delete
  2. This sounds great and I love the title of it. very unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I like the cover and title too and intend to read it when it comes out.

      Delete
  3. Can't ait to read Patti's book - but darn if that isn't a long way off! Thanks Prashant, you tease you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio, same here. Maybe, we can get Patti to advance the date of the book's release!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Prashant. I have very good friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, you're most welcome! I was more than happy to feature your novel.

      Delete
  5. Sounds good, Prashant. 'Evil mothers' - probably the scariest of villains. I've been keeping an eye on Patti's road to the top and I'm thrilled by her success. To think I knew her 'when'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette, I agree. I wouldn't have known you and Patti if I hadn't taken to blogging. I think we're in for a treat with CONCRETE ANGEL.

      Delete
    2. When talking about my blog with friends, I always mention that I have a blogging friend in India, Prashant. Actually I may have two. I think Neer lives in India as well. These connections are the best part of our online lives. :)

      Delete
    3. Yvette, I appreciate that very much and I feel the same way about you. I have more blog friends than real friends and it's been great "knowing" you and all our fellow blog friends. Neer lives in Delhi, I think. Blogging is popular among Indians who blog about a variety of issues including cuisine.

      Delete
  6. From the sound of It, this one promises to be a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that a lovely cover? I am looking forward to reading this when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I think it's a great cover. The greyish tone of the image blends well with the word "Concrete" in the title.

      Delete