Sunday, March 26, 2017

Daredevil TV Series


















Wilson Fisk: The city and its future...seeing Hell's Kitchen to its fullest potential is very important to me.

Matt Murdock: I feel the same way.


The Daredevil TV Series (2015-present) has a popularity rating of 64 on IMDb, up 32, though I don’t know since when, but I’ve added to its growing appeal. I liked this show about Marvel’s much-underrated superhero. I found it dark, gritty, violent, flawed, and oddly unsettling, perhaps because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. I was on tenterhooks through Season 1. Besides, I've always been partial to Daredevil, as I'm to Batman, the Hulk, and Wolverine.

Going back, I liked the 2003 namesake film a lot because it lived up to my comic-book image of The Man Without Fear (unlike Tobey Maguire who didn't as Peter Parker in Spider-Man). Ben Affleck was perfect as Matt Murdock blind lawyer by day and vigilante by night. For many years, I hoped there would be a sequel. There was none. And now the TV series has compensated for the gap.

British actor Charlie Cox steps convincingly into Affleck’s shoes and raises hell in Hell’s Kitchen, the dark side of Manhattan in New York City. He is not infallible. He makes mistakes and gets walloped a few times, including by arch enemy Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin, who clobbers him like Bane smashes Batman in The Dark Knight Rises (2012). And like Batman, the caped crusader of Gotham City, he falls only to rise stronger, wiser, and more determined.


A little wisdom is what Daredevil picks up after his often impulsive and bloody fights with local thugs, junkies, kidnappers, and extortionists. With every episode he learns more about the masterminds behind his battles—the Russian mafia, Japanese crime syndicate Yakuza, Chinese gangsters, and finally Fisk/Kingpin himself—who want to carve up Hell’s Kitchen between them. And slowly, he also learns to be one step ahead of his ruthless enemies.

A television series provides more reel for longer stories. Daredevil gives us more than the heroics of the vigilante. It also offers us a peek into the back stories of the familiar characters—Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox), his buddy and law partner Foggy Nelson (Elden Henson), their first client-turned-secretary Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll), famous crime reporter Ben Urich (Vondie Curtis-Hall), and Wilson Fisk (Vincent D'Onofrio)—which adds to the twists and the suspense.

Daredevil is stark and realistic with a degree of brutality not common in superhero movies. Murdock and Fisk, while representing good and evil, share a tragic childhood, their lives haunted by demons of the past—prompting Hell’s Kitchen’s supervillain to say they’re not very different from each other. Although, they have their own reasons for making the seedy neighbourhood a better place.


As Daredevil, Cox is as good as Affleck, while, as Kingpin, D'Onofrio is several heads above Michael Clarke Duncan in the movie version. What works in his favour is his depiction of the bald Kingpin as a businessman who is both vicious and vulnerable. He reeks of evil and yet doesn’t necessarily seem like one, if that makes any sense.

Finally, what I found appealing about Daredevil is the music, the opening theme and the background score that plays during critical moments in every episode, heightening the thrill and tension of watching a series that deserves wider recognition.

Next up is Season 2 on Netflix, followed by Season 3 in 2018. This is because, in 2017, Netflix plans to release Marvel’s The Defenders comprising Charlie Cox as Daredevil, Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones, Mike Colter as Luke Cage, and Finn Jones as Iron Fist. The last three superheroes also have their standalone series.

Have you seen the Daredevil TV series?

13 comments:

  1. I liked it a lot. It's my favourite of all the Marvel TV shows, although I like them all. It;s got a great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well-done review, Prashant, thanks. I will give it a try. It may convert me into a fan of the genre. D’Onofrio is a good actor and I would like to see him play this part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like D'Onofrio also - I remember him from Full Metal Jacket and Law and Order. I'm not massive on Superhero things, so I'll probably pass. Glad you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard much good about Daredevil, the series. I will have to try to catch up with the early seasons. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with any of this, Prashant. But I'm intrigued by the idea of blind by day, super hero by night. Is that the gist of it? I don't go to see superhero movies because - hold onto your hat and don't hate me - I get bored. :) Well, except for the original SUPERMAN with Christopher Reeve which I still love. I did, however, like the last IRON MAN though I hated the first. :) I'm nothing if not contrary. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a very solid take on the Daredevil concept, Prashant. I must admit, I'm absolutely no expert at all on Daredevil. Still, it's good to know they've done a solid job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting, I do like D'Onofrio. Not familiar with the other actors. Have you seen the Jessica Jones series or the Luke Cage series?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't seen this and doubt that I will, but a nice review. Prashant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm -- this one probably isn't for me, not a fan of the superheroes. But interesting blogpost all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Netflix content seems to vary in each territory but I definitely have this one - tight mate, you're on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Marvel Comic Books when I was younger, but can't get into modern day Hero movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the first season then disliked the direction they went with The Punisher. Have stopped watching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only one without Netflix.

    ReplyDelete